About St. Columba Catholic School
Besides an outstanding academic program, St. Columba School has a unique emphasis on creativity. Art, Music, Drama, Forensics, Yearbook are just a few offerings that allow our students to showcase their individual interests and skills. Here, our eighth graders work together to complete a school wide project.
Total Student Development
Total Student Development implies that we will provide academic, spiritual, and physical development at high ethical and moral standards in all areas to all students. We are the transformers of lives while St. Columba School is the mecca of inspiration and innovation.
Philosophy of Education
St. Columba School welcomes every child of any faith background to its morally and spiritually rich environment which features exemplary academics, solid faith formation, leadership privileges, and community outreach opportunities. We have earned a fine reputation for inspiring our students to reach their potential and achieve personal success.
Motivated by consistently superior achievements, St. Columba School will continue to prepare students for the 21st century by offering an integrated approach that brings together mind and body, matter and spirit, knowledge and reason, science and religion.
To serve as beacons of Christ’s light while nurturing individual gifts in a faith infused, academically challenging, safe and secure environment.
- We believe that St. Columba School is an integral part of the church’s mission to teach students reverence for the sacred, knowledge of the Gospel, and the commandment to serve one another.
- Parent and guardians are the first teachers of their children, and the St. Columba faculty members are facilitators of academic, spiritual, and personal growth.
- All students are capable of academic excellence within St. Columba School’s rigorous curriculum with an appropriate support system tailored to their needs.
- Respect for life and the inherent dignity of others is fundamental to the functioning of all members of the St. Columba School Community.
- Diversity within the school strengthens our school’s culture and affords opportunities to practice, humility, justice, open-minded ness, and citizenship (including digital).
- It is our duty to provide for the physical safety and psychological security of all members of the St. Columba School community and to nurture the well -being of everyone.
- We believe in continuous improvement to strengthen our programs in preparation for students to become motivated learners, adept thinkers, and responsible future leaders.
St. Columba School is regulated by the Catholic Diocese of Harrisburg and is approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. St. Columba School is an accredited member of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Elementary Schools.
The Sisters of Saints Cyril and Methodius from nearby Danville founded St. Columba School in 1954. Our Catholic School offers a complete curriculum with state certified teachers in Preschool through grade 8. All are lay faculty with the exception of Grades 2 and 4. A religious instructor of the same order as the founding Sisters teaches second grade. Fourth grade is taught by a sister of the Sisters Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary order from Scranton. St. Columba School proudly celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2004 and looks forward to continuing its academic excellence and strong spiritual influence in the community into the next fifty years.
- Preschool, Pre K, and Kindergarten through Grade 8. Preschool meets Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00-11:30. Pre K meets Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 8:00-11:30. Plus there is a Pre K five mornings per week option.
- Full day option is also available for both Pre K and Preschool from 8:00-2:20.
- Kindergarten is a full day program. First through fourth grade are self contained classrooms. Middle School (Grades 5 through 8) is departmentalized. Specialized teachers provide weekly instruction in Art, Computer Technology, Library Science, Music, and Physical Education.
- Home/School Association (HSA)
- Education Committee (School Board)
- Recruitment Committee
- Fundraising Committee
Hot Lunch Program:
Federal government approved and PDE certified hot lunches are served in our cafeteria daily. We also offer free/reduced lunches for qualifying families.
After-School Care is available each full school day from 2:35-5:30 p.m. and on early dismissal days from 11:30-2:30. Snack time is scheduled in the cafeteria, and physical activities are conducted in the gym and/or on the playground. Other organized activities including supervised homework time is also provided.
Busing is available from Benton, Berwick, Bloomsburg, Central Columbia, Danville, Millville, and Southern Columbia free of charge for students residing in those school districts.
The principal and teachers hold PDE certification including continuing professional development for Act 48 standards. Music, Art, Physical Education, Computer Technology, and Library Science are taught in K-8. Computers are integrated in each classroom. The curriculum follows the Diocese of Harrisburg Curriculum for Elementary Schools and meets the requirements for PDE state standards. St. Columba Middle School, which begins in Grade 5 and extends through Grade 8, is departmentalized for math, religion, science, and social studies.
Click Here to View Faculty & Staff